August 28, 2020
MASKNE and how you can prevent it
MASKNE simply means acne caused by wearing a mask on long periods of time. This is what happens underneath: when you wear a mask, your breath is trapped in it, hence making the skin a breeding ground for bacteria.
Now that face masks are a must wear in many parts of the world, to ensure safety and to stop the spread of COVID-19. When you wear the mask all day, there is a potential friction against your skin which can lead to itchy, irritated, inflamed, dry skin.
Here is how you can care for your skin during this time and prevent MASKNE.
- Choose a breathable material for a mask. Avoid plastics, acrylics, polyester. Natural fiber materials like cotton, wool or silk cause less friction on the skin hence chances of getting Maskne are minimal to none.
- Stay Hydrated. Take in lots of fluids to keep your skin highly hydrated. Also before you wear a mask make sure you cleanse your skin well and apply some good Facial oil.
- Do not use one Mask for too Long, as it can carry lots of bacteria, keep changing often and if washable, make sure you wash it everyday.
- Avoid wearing heavy make-up, since half of your face is covered by the mask, you may choose to wear eye make-up or very little foundation if you have to go all the way. Just so you know, less or no make-up will decrease your chances of getting Maskne.
- Don't touch your face: yes the Mask is off, its the end of the day but your hands have been everywhere, wash them before touching your face or washing your face
- Prep Your Skin well before you wear a mask. And use minimal products. Too much layering of skincare products can cause more harm than good. Cleanse, Exfoliate, Moisturize and wear your Sunscreen. YES! wear your sunscreen under your Mask. The UVA/UVB can still penetrate into your mask and onto your skin. Protect your skin.